Friday, April 24, 2009

Week 12: Cataloging Journal 2

The end of Chapter 5 leaves us with a very valuable question to ask ourselves as we are cataloging, "In what field of study will this item be used and for whom was this work created?" I believe this to be a valuable question for each of us to ask because we all have differing patrons in our libraries and it is important to ensure that the item is accessible to those who are looking for it!
I like the suggestion on page 99 to add a $d to copy catalog records to help identify the person within the library who is making changes to the record. This is a great way to track who might be forgetting to add something into the record. Presently in my library, I only have one volunteer who helps with cataloging. She is very detail orientated and has done a great job. My aide likes to catalog but is easily distracted by other happenings in the library and is the cause for a lot of catalog blunders! This would be a simple solution for dealing with some of these issues.
On page 115, the author states that many automated systems are able to access the info from the 245 tag using a keyword search. I am curious if this is the case with my system and will be interested to check this out once vacation is over.
Interesting to me (and my library) is cataloging bilingual/language books. We have a Spanish Immersion program and so have a Spanish language section. This has been a constant thorn in my side because it is very hard to find records to copy catalog so I have been fudging my way through. Thankfully it is a small section and I will be able to go back and add in Tag 546 language notes.
I wish my automated system was accessible from home as it would really be helpful to read a section and try it out in the system. On page 143 and 144, a lot of information is presented regarding Tag 521 - Target Audience note. The author notes that not all systems will pick up on these tags....so another thing to check out later.
Page 152 discusses cataloging equipment. I remember reading somewhere quite a long time ago to catalog everything that leaves the library! This is great because it is always clear where everything is located - as long as it gets checked out!
The conclusion of this chapter set me a bit at ease (with all of the cataloging jargon swirling in my head) that at least I have been doing some things right....according to Kaplan and Riedling; "cataloging requires quite a bit of judgment on the part of the person doing the cataloging."
Chapter 7 - the Future of Cataloging
Ah, nice another statement to make me feel a bit better about the state of my catalog,
"most school library media collections are already suffering from lack of organized access to electronic data". I am very excited about the possibility of cataloging websites for my users. As my library suffers (like most) from lack of funding, this would be a great asset to the collection. I know that other web based catalogs are capable of this function and once again I must check into this with my system as it is quite limited.
The authors give a viable solution to a problem that could arise, having time to update dead links. Sticking to government or educational sites will help to keep the dead links to a minimum. I am glad that they made mention of Follett as in my previous school I used this system and loved there response to issues and updates. I like the theory that making many sources available in one place for students (and teachers) is valuable.
There are many benefits to having students rely on the OPAC over searching on their own, linking all resources just makes sense!

1 comment:

  1. I am glad that you found a lot in K&R to put your mind at ease about your cataloging. And it is good that you recognize the limitations of your system. If nothing else, it will make next week's assignment a piece of cake!

    ReplyDelete