Thursday, November 29, 2012

Comfortable with fumbles

One reason I absolutely love my job is that I am constantly humbled. Let me explain. I think of myself as a talented and educated human being and yet daily (yes, daily) I am reminded of how much I still need to learn.  I am also reminded of how much we can teach each other, if we remain open to that concept.

As an educator, I am sometimes (well, always) expected to be able to respond, answer and teach within a moments notice; and I can usually rise to the challenge.  It is in the moments that I am unable to rise to these challenges that my greatest growth is realized.  Is this true for you?

Yesterday, I was helping a student find titles of books for a book club that she is facilitating. As I was helping her, I was able to give her several great resources so that she could learn how to sustain her reading over her adult lifetime.  She asked me a question, that I felt unprepared for. She asked a question that most librarians would probably love to be asked and yet, I fumbled.

The question doesn't matter. How I handled the fumble does. It matters to me and it matters to my students and it should matter to you.  Here's why.  How I react to my own inadequacies, paves the way for how willing my students will be to do the same. Isn't this what we are striving for? A population of students who are willing to think, innovate, and create? A population of students who are willing to make mistakes, acknowledge their weaknessses and be willing to grow through them?

It is with this that I say to you today, celebrate your weaknesses; take comfort in them.  Be humble and be inspired to grow through them, each and every day.






2 comments:

  1. Great post, Anita. I love your choice of the word fumble. It isn't a mistake, or an error. It is a moment when our gap is revealed. Years ago at a BLC conference there was a wonderful speaker who told an anecdote about something that went horribly wrong. He said his response has since become his standard response to situations that go awry, or events that don't go as planned. He claps his hands together in delight and says "Isn't that fascinating!" Your post reminded me of this story. Embracing the opportunity to learn is probably one of the best lessons we can give to our students. I always feel like freely admitting I can't answer something, or need to figure out the solution with the student as a partner, seems to create a bridge that wasn't there before. Thanks for reminding me of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Robin for your feedback. I love the anecdote that you share and I agree, these moments are definitely capable of creating bridges. Thanks for reading! ~

    ReplyDelete