Monday, August 23, 2010

Butterflies

Butterflies symbolize change.  It seems fitting then to use "Butterflies" as the title for this blog post.  I am about to begin  a job as a high school librarian next week.  It will be a big change for me and I have "butterflies in my stomach".  I have previously been a middle school librarian and an elementary librarian and even worked in a public library  but this is my first job as a high school librarian.  I am excited for the change and feel prepared to take on this new challenge, but we all know that with all changes there is a fear of the unknown that surrounds the change.  Perhaps the butterfly also has appropriate symbolism based on the fact that my skills and knowledge have been morphing over the past years and I'm now ready to spread my wings.

There is a Native American legend that says, " If you have a secret wish, capture a butterfly and whisper your wish to it. Since butterflies cannot speak, your secret is ever safe in their keeping. Release the butterfly, and it will carry your wish to the Great Spirit, who alone knows the thoughts of butterflies. By setting the butterfly free, you are helping to restore the balance of nature, and your wish will surely be granted."

I am looking to the balance of nature to help me to know the changes that will be necessary but to also understand the needs of the community that I am joining. I plan to blog about my new adventures and although I know I will be learning a lot and expanding my knowledge, I have hope that the butterfly in me will be released.  

No comments:

Post a Comment