Saturday, September 11, 2010

Empower, Transition, Grow....that sounds about right!



Recently this article caught my eye "Empower, Transition, Grow" by Betty Marcoux and David Loertscher. I found it on the Gale database in the Teacher Librarian Journal. It was published in October 2009 but I believe it is very relevant today.
The article speaks of reading and writing in the new "learning commons" library. It starts out describing the 7 myths of students choosing their own reading materials based on a Nancy Atwell interview but goes on to discuss the Cushing Academy issue of no books in the library and Loertscher's 10 things worse than a library without books: 


1. A library without a credentialed teacher-librarian.
2. A library without information in the formats users prefer.
3. A library that restricts access to information in any format.
4. A library that most teachers ignore.
5. A library that most students Google around.
6. A teacher-librarian who is afraid of, or ignores the impact of technology.
7. A library that only deals in print materials.
8. A library of antiquated computers and computer networks.
9. A library where tech directors have a big sign behind their desks reading: Just Say NO!
10. An empty library.

The article ends with this quote, "Reading and writing are foundational for much that we do. We now have so many more tools to pursue interest, ability, and most important, the excellence of literacy that every single child deserves to experience. What a great time to be a teacher-librarian!"

I think that so many of todays issues are summed up in this article. It is essential to remember our roots or the basics of the profession but to be empowered by administration (including the superintendent), to continue to transition to the learning commons philosophy and to grow within our profession by learning the new technologies and best practices of teaching and learning. 


In the short two weeks that I have been at the high school library, my focus has been on trying to see the whole picture.  Of coarse, it will take me more time to discover the issues and the solutions and keeping this list visible is part of the solution! 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this...the validation alone is so important. I grew up as a child in a library, as my parents bothed worked and I was a latchkey kid. My librarians were so happy to see me each day and it was a place that I felt ownership toward...I took care of it because I was told it was "mine" to share. I learned about so many things by choice, as everything was there in front of me and the librarians encouraged and supported, steering me toward new things I never even thought of...
    One thing though...I LOVE A QUIET LIBRARY! How can anyone read and think, if people are talking? This is sacred...and I think should be encouraged and reminded more! :) XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Loertscher's list. I agree - it is a fantastic time to be a teacher-librarian!

    ReplyDelete