Monday, March 28, 2011


Life is all about comfort. I woke up this morning wondering what to wear to work; not because I am a fashionista or that I think the teenagers I work with will care or notice, but because I crave the feeling of soft, silky clothing that doesn't bind, bunch or pinch! To me, there is nothing like the comfort of a cup of tea, an old friend, a cozy fire or a loved book.  I have noticed that comfort is always a part of the formula for a decision, no matter how trivial. Comfort is one of the secret's to life's mysteries.

Lack of comfort is just plain "uncomfortable" and it's this that I was thinking after I decided what to wear this morning. Lack of comfort pushes you. It takes you to another level. Some might see this as something to avoid. It has been my experience that when I am uncomfortable I work to make changes, I reflect about the why and how, and it usually is the exact growth that I need at the time.

This school year I have been out of my comfort zone. I started a new job in a new school district with a different age group, a different set of expectations, and a whole lot of unknown.  It is just this week that I feel, well, comfortable. I have created a space that allows me to envision  the future and I have seen the first steps of trust from colleagues and students.

 Here is how I know this to be true:
  •  Just this week, I noticed that many students are using my name when they speak with me.
  • Teens in my advisory group  began to post comments and ideas.
  • Colleagues are asking for my opinions and assistance for their curriculum planning.
Students, colleagues and administration are visibly comfortable in their daily interactions with me. So what came first, their comfort or mine? I don't know.  But one thing I do know without a doubt? Life is all about comfort.

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I think you hit the nail on the head with the comfort factor and building a new program. It takes time for everyone to get comfortable with each other and to establish productive working relationships. Congratulations! I am looking forward to more from a wonderful high school librarian :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Robin! I always appreciate your feedback and inspiring words! :)

    ReplyDelete